For at least 10 years I have been emailing daily Christmas stories to family and friends. This has become a much cherished tradition for me. It has truly helped bring the true spirit of Christmas into my life each year. I hope you enjoy the stories with me!
Merry Christmas!!
Love always,
Tricia

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 16 - Only 9 more days Till Christmas!!

This is Christ's Birthday
By Shauna Stewart Larsen


My grandfather, George Albert Smith, had heard my brother, sister, and me talk about what we wanted for Christmas for weeks. We described, in detail, what we would get, what color, what size, and on and on.

Christmas Eve finally arrived and we all hung up our stockings on the fireplace mantel, still hoping aloud for LOTS of gifts. Just before we went to bed, Grandfather said, "Wait a minute, I have to get my stocking." Pretty soon he came back with his blue eyes twinkling. He carried a great big scout sock in his hand. What's more, he had taken a pair of scissors and cut off the toe of the stocking. He hung up his stocking with great glee and then went over and got the empty coal bucket and put it right beneath the stocking. Well, I was very impressed with how smart Grandfather was. Not only would Santa have to fill his stocking, but he'd have to fill the coal bucket too. What a smart idea!

Christmas morning, after breakfast, we opened the doors to the living room and raced in to where the tree was. I was especially anxious to see what Santa had left Grandfather. But when I saw his stocking, my heart sank, and my eyes filled with tears, because Santa had left my very SPECIAL Grandfather a switch and coal and onions.

Grandfather saw the tears in my eyes and he pulled me towards him and said, "Now Shauna, you must remember that this is Christ's birthday we are celebrating and even Santa doesn't like to see anyone be greedy." I learned a great lesson, one I've never forgotten, and one I've always been grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment